Home Forums Worship Music Gear Heartbeat Cymbals Raw Series

• Author
    Keymaster
    #4655 |

The Raw series is a very unique series for Heartbeat. While we liked the sound of fully unlathed (raw) cymbals, we found them too dead and chunky sounding for what our drummers wanted.  With that in mind, we started with an unlathed cymbal, but lathed the bell. Then, we polished the entire cymbal to give the earthy look a shine.

These cymbals are special. Crashes are very fast. Rides are very dry. Hi-hats are beefy. That’s why we make them in up to 18″ diameter! Chinas are very Oriental sounding (isn’t that what Chinas are supposed to sound like?).

If you own any Raw series cymbals from Heartbeat, we would love to hear from you here! Or, if you have any questions, please feel free to post them here.

• Tyler
    Participant

I currently have 16″ Classic light hats and a 22″ Epic ride. I’m looking into getting 2, 20″ crashes that will blend well into a mix and not be overbearing despite the size. I was thinking about a 20″ studio and a 20″ raw. What are some of your thoughts on getting two crashes of the same size, but different series? Are the studio and raw series’ good for this? My goal is to have them similar in volume, but different sonic characteristics. Thanks guys.

• joepapa7
    Participant

Tyler – why not consider an Epic 20″ crash? I have and 18 and 20 and love them. Also have the Epic 24″ ride and just received today the 16″ Classic Light Hats.

• Tyler
    Participant

@joepapa7 I was thinking about it, but I wanted to have a contrast between the sonic characteristics of the other cymbals; especially since my 22 Epic gets crashed on too. This is certainly an option though.

• Noel
    Keymaster

Raw Hi-hats seem to be the most popular selling in the Raw series, thanks to the visability of Heartbeat artist Simon “Kobes” Kobler with Hillsong United using 17″ and Mike Smith with Leeland using 18″. That being said, if beefy sounding hats are what you want, then the Raw hats are the answer! In 2016 we are experimenting with light rides and larger crashes in this series. We think it is only a matter of time before this series really starts to challenge some of the other Heartbeat series in demand.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.